Monday, June 14, 2010

Off Again, On Again

It seems to be a crazy time of year for many of my blogosphere buds, and the same is true in my sphere. We had a visit from the in-laws 2 weeks ago, my mom last week and a half crazy foster dog somewhere in between. It's been fun and busy. It's been funsy. Which, of course, means "busy fun." I'm sort of in the mood to make up words. I had my freshman doing that today in imitation of the poem "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Caroll. But, my point: I'm feeling a funk setting in. What do I do with myself now that the excitement is over and my schedule is lackluster?

I suppose it's time to focus on the pre-30 goals I made specifically for this year of my life:

1. go to Europe and see a really real castle
2. Run a marathon in under 4 hours
3. Grow my hair out again

4. Get a paycheck for writing something
5. Take the GRE, apply for grad school

I've only checked off one so far...and I have exactly 9 months (as of the 14th) until my 30th birthday! I think I've got #3 well underway (I had to set something ridiculously simple, just in case the others proved too much). But, my goal to run a marathon in under 4 hours before 30 is beginning to feel ridiculous. I haven't been on a serious run in weeks; calling Monday night co-ed softball games "fartlek training" isn't going to fly anymore (especially since I'm not a very good hitter).

I was reading this month's Runner's World and found my newest training schedule inside. All I have to do is decide when to start the 16 week training program...and that will be determined by the race I decide to enter.

I'm accepting suggestions for flat/enjoyable marathons that take place in mid to late fall (2010). I'd love to hear what your favorite races might be at that time. I'm considering New York City. But, is that too big and intimidating? Should I try for a small one closer to San Diego...or family in Northern California? Anyone know much about good Central Cal races in the fall? I just can't decide.

In the mean time, I'll be doing my maintenance runs during the day while sighing and studying and dreading the training chart, which will soon become my "social life," at night.

Break 4 Hours or Bust!
(I'll post the training schedule soon.)

3 comments:

  1. Big races like NYC are likely sold out by now...matter of fact, I'm sure of it. I've never run this one, but the reviews say it's flat and fast and it's in the fall. http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=2395101003

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh; I need to write a blog post about how pathetic my running has been, but can't bring myself to do it! ... but back to you :)
    I've seen good reviews of a marathon in Sacramento on December 5. (runcim.org) You could perhaps keep that in mind if you can't find one you like, or need a bit longer to get back up to full speed.
    Me, I'll just be dead grateful to manage 6 hours by March....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Festung Fortress in Salzburg, Austria is a good one for your castle goal. i think it boasts a title like 'largest castle in Western Europe' or something. i'm sure there are 'sexier' castles out there, but i thought Salzburg was gorgeous (i was there in Sept or October....can't recall) and i'll never forget the cheddar i ate there. (yeah, i know) It all depends on what kind of European experience you want to have.

    ReplyDelete