Saturday, February 26, 2011

Dirt Devil Racing Series

I'm sort of in a funk right now with running: unmotivated, tired, lackluster. I'm currently doing the bare minimum to stay in 1/2 marathon condition for the races I've been doing about once a month right now. But, maybe if I sign up for the upcoming Dirt Devil trail race series, it will give my running the reviving shock it needs.

For 3 years now, The San Diego Running Institute has sponsored the Dirt Devil Racing Series: a series of small races (limited to about 250 participants per race) all held on local San Diego County trails. I did a 10K last year and looooooooved it. People were cooking food on little camp stoves at the start line, Starbucks reps handed out free coffee and Jamba Juice provided bagels and bananas. It was mellow and peaceful from start to finish and now that I think about it I don't know why I neglected to run more of them last year.


Well, that's why I'm doing it this year. Here are the Dirt Devil dates and locations:

April 17th, 2011, Painted Rocks Half Marathon, Lake Hodges
June 12th, 2011, Coyote 5K, Tecolote Canyon
July 10th, 2011 , Sidewinder 10K, Marian Bear Park
August 14th, 2011, Stairway to Heaven 15K, Mission Trails Regional Park
October 9th, 2011, Raptor Ridge Half Marathon, Lake Hodges

I'm a little concerned that trail races are going to become as popular as road races-- it's getting harder and harder to register for San Diego marathons unless you stalk when registration starts and do it right away. All these people being healthy is really annoying isn't it?

For more info on these races or to register go to http://www.dirtdevilracing.com/

OR

Contact: Emily Beck
San Diego Running Institute
(619) 265-7374
emily@sdri.net

2 comments:

  1. I've only done a couple of trail runs, and loved the whole friendly/mellow experience... but not the hills. I joked with single friends that they were great places to meet friendly guys!
    Thanks for asking about my knees; I dunno if they're OK to do 26 miles but it won't stop my trying!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. trails rock! I hope they don't become the next 'craze' though, there isn't enough room for all the road runners.

    ReplyDelete