Monday, February 8, 2010

Focus on the Teacher

This will be a big ol' vent fest...and maybe you'll be disappointed in me for some of the things I'm going to say, but I can't hold it in anymore...my husband (whom I usually vent to) is asleep. If my hip weren't so touch-and-go right now I'd be pounding this out on the roads instead, but the keyboard will have to do for now.

I'm working on a piece for Voice of San Diego and it's difficult for me to refrain from getting soap boxy...but the beauty of having my own blog is that I can live in a soapbox if I so choose.

Two separate issues running through my mind involve 1. teacher pay and 2. the so-called "great" teachers who inspire films like Dead Poet's Society or Dangerous Minds.

The first thing I'd like to vent about is how every year our class sizes get bigger--and while YES this is bad for the students, it's also bad for the teacher. But I can't talk about the needs of the teacher in Voice because the public doesn't care about that... the public mentality is: Get over it, that's what you have summer vacation for, and We all have tough jobs so what? Well public, you get what you pay for. And I am going to say publicly what teachers are afraid to admit to anyone but their colleagues: I do the minimum amount of work to be effective and competent.

I am a damn good teacher: I can create meaningful assignments and simulations in less time than the average teacher (that's so arrogant, but I'm being honest), and I can grade essays just as effectively as the average teacher--in half the time as well. My point is not to toot my own horn, it's simply to demonstrate that it's a good thing I'm fast and effective, because I do not and will not kill myself doing uncompensated work that gets little to no respect from the community and less than that from the district. (And I'm certainly not going to miss an episode of "Cougartown" over it.)

A school in New York opened this September that pays 125,000 dollars for its teachers. Of course, these are highly qualified teachers getting these jobs, but if it became common practice that only the "best of the best" make this amount, then I guarantee you teacher bitterness would decrease. (I could go into merit pay right now, but that's a vent for another day.) The way it is now, larger classes mean more paperwork to take home. It means more stressful classroom management issues. Larger classes mean that some teachers have so many extra students it's like teaching a 6th class-- with no added compensation for the time and effort that goes into this.

However, these issues would not be so bad if they were compensated. Then, at least, we would be getting paid for our work. Teachers already work beyond their contract time. Somehow the public believes that when the final bell rings at 3:00 pm teachers are off duty: careless and fancy-free. This is simply wrong... I don't want to go into all the details of how much time teachers spend preparing lesson plans, grading papers, making phones calls or writing emails to parents, counselors and administrators during their "off duty" hours...because I know you will believe me when I say we put in more hours than we should. And for anyone who says, "At least you have summers off," my response is-- first, most of us have already put in enough hours during the school year to compensate for the time off and second, that break is the only thread holding our sanity in place. I'd bet a year's paycheck that if breaks were taken away, DUI's would increase, assaults and "drunk in public" violations would increase, and spousal abuse would skyrocket. I'm not being funny.

The other issue that crossed my mind--and I think I might write something about this for Voice--is that great teachers are no longer in the classroom (quite the oxymoron, wouldn't you say?).

Take for example the Freedom Writers teacher, Erin Gruwell. She isn't in the classroom anymore. As soon as she was able to, she high-tailed it out of the classroom and into a program that trains teachers in her methods. I always find it amazing how this same life choice applies to nearly every "teacher" who presents at our teacher workshops. They all "used to be great" teachers; however, they've all traded the classroom for the conference room. And the cherry on top is, that the methods they teach can't be maintained--that's why they aren't doing them anymore. The amount of energy it requires is impossible--and is one of the reasons Erin Gruwell's marriage failed. Yet, these quitters try to inspire us jaded teachers on the brink. For many of us, it only fuels the bitter flame.

Anyone else want to vent about their job? I'd love to hear about it!

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that our society doesn't appear to value teaching more and reward you accordingly. I suspect, deep down, anyone who's been near a school recently knows how incredibly hard you work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely feel like a jerk talking about money while so many are out of work--and to clarify, I don't want a pay raise. I just want smaller class sizes. I'm very grateful to have a job...I hope I didn't offend anyone...wasn't my intent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...you asked for it, so I'm venting... I am a teacher, like yourself, but I teach at a private boys' high school. Despite that, I still get the, "Well, you must get paid an awful lot" (average tuition for one student is around $10 thousand dollars...BTW, very little of that makes its way to the teachers), or, my favorite --- "It must be nice to have summers off." Really? Oh, I'm sorry...are you referring to me? The girl who started teaching twelve yeras ago but has yet to EVER have a summer off? Yes, that's right...unless you are in a really prime public school district, you need to find summer employment. So try obtaining a job where you tell your employer, "By the way, I can only work between June 20th and August 20th, because my 'real full time job' starts on August 21st. So, do you want to hire me?" Long point short...I understand what you are saying. If I left the private school sector I would make $11 thousand more than I do now... but I would be competing with far more people for one position than I did for the job I got in the first place...and, theoretically, my students are abbove and beyond the "regular" public student class. Anyway, the next time someone tells you that "teaching is easy," punch them in the face for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I have to ask this. If you are only doing the minimum you have to do to be competent, and if you are overworked, underpaid, etc., etc. Why don't you stop teaching and find a job that you find fulfilling and satisfying? A job where your skills and speed will be appreciated? Teaching obviously isn't making you happy. Are you doing anyone, including yourself, a service by continuing to scrape by just trying to save your energy and sanity? I'm just saying....

    I will duck now, but I am asking in all sincerity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter's in a credential program right now. She should probably read this post.

    I work for a non-profit, so low pay and some long weeks are par for the course -- and overridden by a communal commitment to make the world a better place for people. No complaints here. No unions or politicians deciding our fate either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. michele- don't worry, your question is totally legit--and you're correct: i'm not fulfilled by this job. the truth is i am always looking for a different job. if i could just teach kids w/o all the other BS that gets in the way of that--i might be able to hang with this job for the rest of my life--because it has some pretty amazing moments. but, the job market is crap right now...and my job is secure. so i feel really lucky to be employed at all. my vent above is more about class size how and bad it is all around for everyone and the lame ex-teachers who try to inspire us, when they themselves couldn't hang--that is probably the issue that upsets me the most: "don't tell me about more things i should be doing, when you don't do them anymore (because it burned you out)"
    thanks for the question! i do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry teachers! a lot of people are overworked and underpaid. every PhD student and post-doc in my lab works every single weekend and they're lucky if they make $40,000 a year, and most likely will have that salary well into their 40's (43 is the average age of people being funded by the NIH). might be fine if you live in missouri or somewhere else no one wants to live, but it doesn't quite cut it for most cities. even the secretaries, who don't even have college degrees, make more than us. life ain't fair, but like you Ashley, i do feel (somewhat) lucky to have a secure job, even if it is less than ideal. i feel bad for anyone wanting to go into teaching or biol/chem. at least we're making a difference...that's what i like to tell myself, but it doesn't really make me feel any better! i think we need to go to the zoo and have a beer! that would make me feel better.

    ReplyDelete