Friday, February 26, 2010

Missing Runner


A couple months ago I had a strange run at Lake Poway. If you didn't read that post, or don't remember, click HERE to read about it. Long story short: it felt like someone or something was watching me the entire time. I felt panicky for no reason that I could see (well... besides the fact that I could see no one). One small comfort was the cell phone I carried in my hand. I don't believe that my feelings during that run are connected to the missing girl I'm going to talk about; however, my instinct told me to get out of that place. I fought against that instinct when I should have ran with it. I'm very thankful that my instinct didn't prove to be correct that day; I made it back to my car. For one unfortunate runner, this is not the case.

Yesterday, Chelsea King, a 17 year old long distance runner, parked her car near Lake Hodges in Rancho Bernardo Community Park, left for a run and didn't return. Her cell phone was found in the car. At first I thought, Foolish girl! Why didn't you carry it with you? But then I thought of all the times I've left for runs and didn't feel like carrying my phone: I run these roads and trails all the time...they're safe. Nothing bad could ever happen to me.

Well, they're really not safe and it can happen to anyone. I may be comfortable with the roads and trails I run, but (sadly) that's a dangerous state of mind--it's more likely to make me careless.

There are really only two things that could have happened to her: she fell and is out on some trail gravely injured or she has been abducted. If only this could be some dramatic teen stunt--a young girl who just desperately needs attention, because the alternatives are tragic and unimaginably sad.

While it's true that danger can lurk around every bend, we can't let it keep us off the roads and trails we love or away from the sport we're addicted too. This is why it's so important to be aware of our surroundings (as my dad told me nearly every day of my life growing up and is probably why I'm paranoid in all parking lots-- in broad daylight), and it's also important to be prepared. Carry a cell phone! Women: if you run in rural or partially secluded areas consider carrying pepper spray. (You can get it at any sporting goods store.) I have the kind that clips onto the waistband of my pants and my shirt hangs low enough to keep it concealed. You'd never know it's there, but if you wanted someone to see it, it sends the message: Don't mess with me, I'm running here and I plan on finishing today.

At the Gorge this afternoon my friend nearly stepped on on a young rattlesnake stretched across the road. If she had stepped on it and been bit, I could have called 911 immediately because I was carrying my cell phone. However, had I left my phone in the car--as I almost decided to do--we were two miles from the nearest phone. Two miles too far from help.

Again: Be aware of your surroundings and listen to your gut! If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't, so get the hell out.

Keep this young girl and her family in your thoughts and prayers. And if you see anything suspicious in any area, report it immediately. To read more about Chelsea King click HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you and I were on the same wavelength yesterday when we posted about the missing Poway teen. I saw this morning that her coach had instructed her and others on her cross-country team to never run alone. That isn't practical for working adults, but let's hope kids now stick together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is so sad, I do hope she's found safely. But you are so right that instinct is possibly the most powerful defense we have - it's a strange skill we humans have, and I think perhaps women have more of it than men.
    As for the rattlesnake, all I can say is, if that had happened to me, I think I'd quit running immediately! Few creatures hold more horror for me.
    Will indeed watch for news of Chelsea King and hope for a good outcome.

    ReplyDelete