Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Waterfront


I don't run with people.

I haven't discussed this with you yet, but I it's time I did. First let me tell you why I dislike running with people (let me be perfectly clear: it's me, not them). I breathe loud. I spit a lot. I'm slow. My nose runs. I make hacking sounds to cough up phlegm. (This makes me sound like an 80 year old smoker.) It's not pleasant. Years ago, I occasionally ran with a friend, but she moved away, so for the last few years I've been content to run alone. It makes me feel independent and stoic...I suppose. But then last night at a friend's wedding reception, I "ran" into a new running buddy.

By some crazy coincidence, my husband and I were placed at a table with a friend of ours who, come to find out, has recently decided to train for the Napa Valley Marathon. (P.S. I'm training for the same marathon.) So, we talk mileage, training plans, routes around San Diego, blah blah blah-- he wants to do some long runs together. Despite my reservations about myself and my grossness, I say yes. Coincidence #2: We were both scheduled to run about 10 miles the next day along the same San Diego waterfront. (We live in the same neighborhood, so I guess it's not that much of a coincidence.)

Today I was reminded of the benefits of having a running buddy: accountability, pacing and distraction.

Accountability: If I wake up in the morning knowing that someone is counting on me to be there for a run, I will do it. Sometimes the excuses to not go on that long run first thing in the morning are too many and too easy to use. However, if I know someone is waiting for me, I'll be there (I'm extremely punctual and reliable and not afraid to brag about it--thanks Mom and Dad!).

Pacing: Sometimes when running alone, it's easy to zone out and realize too late that you've been running at a 14:00 minute pace for the last two miles. A running partner can push you when you're feeling ready to slack and you can push them when they're feeling ready to slack. But, be sure you communicate about how the pace feels, or you'll end like me and my running partner today who thought we were pacing off the other person and ran the last 2 miles at an 8:30 pace (don't laugh, that's fast to both of us!) I had to take a two hour nap to recover from just those last couple miles.

Distraction: Long runs can get soooo booooring. A running partner can keep you distracted from the miles you're slowing racking up over the course of two, three or four hours. Also, talking is a helpful running tool on long runs that can help the both of you gauge an appropriate and safe pace. If you can't talk, you're running too fast (of course this rule doesn't apply if you're trying to be the next Paula Radcliff or Ryan Hall). And since I don't run with headphones, the conversation definitely helped pass the time today, and for my friend who is trying to wean himself off the headphones, it was a step in the right direction. (The Napa Valley Marathon has a very strict policy about not wearing headphones--this can be scary for some people to consider running without the mental help of music.)

Running alone has its benefits, and it is necessary especially for runs during the week. If you always run with someone, you may not be prepared for that point in the race when it's just you and miles of road ahead. Running alone builds mental strength. (Side note: come up with your own personal mantra to keep your feet moving. Mine is,"I'm still moving" and sometimes, "I feel good." Pick a simple phrase that you can repeat to the beat of your pace.) But, I was reminded today about how having a running buddy for (some, not all of) your long runs is a great training strategy. If you don't have a friend who is willing to run 15 plus miles with you twice a month...join a running club like San Diego's Running Club or San Diego Track Club.

Another strategy I tried today, because of my running buddy, was The Galloway Method. I'm a big fan. I kind of always felt that running this way would be considered cheating...but I gotta say, "The Penguin" has something here. His plan is slightly different than what we chose to do (which was run 8 minutes, walk 1 minute) but this goes with what I said in a post from the other day: Alter the training schedule to fit you. This method kept my muscles loose and able to recover, and overall my average pace was not much slower than if I had run the whole ten miles. I still have a hard time saying, "I ran 10 miles today" since I walked some of it...but that's a pride thing, maybe? Perhaps I should say, "I Gallowayed 10 miles today."

The Course: The San Diego Bay Shore (AKA The Waterfront)
You can jump in at any point along this run. For a 12 mile round trip, start in Shelter Island (shown in both images). There is a lot of free parking all along Shelter Island Drive. (If you're closer to downtown, you can do this route starting at the turn around point by parking where Broadway meets Pacific Highway or in Seaport Village. You'll have to pay for parking down there.) Run along the bay's sidewalk on Shelter Island Drive. (Water and restroom is available near the pier.) At the southernmost tip of the island, listen for the seals barking in the early morning hours. When you're ready to leave Shelter Island, head east past some fantastic eateries like The Brigantine and The Point Break Cafe. Hang a right on Scott Street, you'll pass Point Loma Seafood on your right (also so good!). Stay to the right and you'll join up with North Harbor Drive. After you go over the Harbor Drive bridge, there is a running path to your right that runs feet from the water. There are two restrooms and water fountains available along this path. (You can run along Harbor Dr. on the road with the cars, but the park is much more peaceful.)

When you get to the San Diego Airport at the corner of Harbor and Harbor Island Drive, you can do a 3 mile side route that takes you around the two "legs" of the artificial peninsula. Tom Ham's Lighthouse (I hear it has a great champagne brunch) is on the south leg of the trip.

After Harbor Island Dr. continue east on the bike/run path. Coast Guard facilities will cut off your view of the bay; however, not for long. Immediately after these buildings, you'll emerge and have an amazing view across the harbor to downtown. On a clear day, you'll be able to see the Star of India (a maritime museum: an old ship that looks like something from Pirates of the Caribbean) and even as far down as the cruise ship terminals and The Midway (aircraft carrier). Another restroom and water is available before you hit the Embarcadero where there is more good food available (Ruth's Chris and Anthony's Fish Grotto...do you see what marathon training has done to my writing? All I can think about is food!). The turn around point is at Broadway. (If you continue less than a 1/4 mile past Broadway, check out the aircraft carrier. It's crazy big!)

For more mileage: you can continue past Broadway and into the Seaport Village area--a super cute Spanish style village on the edge of the harbor. It is host to the perfect view of the Coronado bridge and Coronado itself. (Don't even get me started on all the good food available down there!)

A fun option available at the Embarcadero:
Carry $7 (it used to only be $4! Sad.) on your run and purchase a round trip ferry ticket to Coronado. The ferry leaves every hour on the hour. From the ferry landing run south on Orange Ave until you get to the Hotel Del Coronado. The beach at this hotel is usually on the Top 10 Best Beaches according to "Dr. Beach" because of it's size, crystal sands, and kid-friendliness. Kick off your shoes and enjoy running the mile long length of this beach (if you want to be sore the next day...).

I guess that's it.
Keep on truckin'.

2 comments:

  1. I love a running partner for the exact reasons you said. I can become pretty lazy if I do not have someone there to motivate me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to the Galloway method! I've heard of many, many people who have great successes in marathons by mixing in a bit of walking. Right now, my strategy might be to run as much as I can, and then mix in some walking for the last few miles if it all gets to be too much!

    ReplyDelete