Friday, February 26, 2010

Run Some Sherman Alexi Through Your Brain


I just finised Sherman Alexie's novel The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. I also just decided to have my freshmen read it at the end of the year.

There are distinct and gaping holes in the diversity of literature at the high school level. Everything seems to be written by, about, and for white men and a glaringly obvious lack of varied cultures and races are positively portrayed in main stream literature. For probably every ten books on our "approved core literature list" there is one book by and about minorities. When other races and cultures are represented, it's either about the Holocaust or Civil Rights. While these are extremely important--and I wouldn't dream of eliminating these pieces--there is still a lack of fair representation.

I teach in Lakeside near the Barona Indian Reservation. There are a lot of negative stereotypes about kids from the "rez" (reservation). I feel that Alexi's book addresses these stereotypes, pokes fun at them, and at the same time debunks them and sheds light on an institutionalized form of racism most (white) American's have trained themselves to forget about and not even notice. Furthermore, I'm excited about this book because there are so few books by Native American Indian authors who speak the truths of today's American Indian experience--and does it in such a funny/heartbreaking way.

Basic Plot: Arnold Spirit (Junior) is an uber-nerdy high school teenager living on the "rez." When he decides, after the promptings of the rez teacher Mr. P, to attend the "rich, white school" off the rez, he struggles with persecution and rejection from two worlds: his tribe for betrayal and his new classmates because of their ignorance and racist stereotypes. Yet through it all, Arnold keeps his optimism and off-the-wall-brutally-honest sense of humor. You will laugh out loud at his teenageryness (I know that's not a word, but it should be) and weep at little inside about it as well. Chris Crutcher, author of Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes, said it best, "I know Sherman Alexie is on his game when I'm reading his book, laughing my ass off while my heart is breaking."
I dare you to not laugh out loud when Arnold's quasi-friend Gordy teaches him about the "metaphorical boner" he gets from learning or refrain from showing the person nearest you Arnold's cartoon about the conversation concerning said "joy." You'll metaphorically die in about 100 different ways throughout his journey.


Pick up a book. Turn off the TV.
Don't forget that your brain needs to workout too!

2 comments:

  1. I did indeed laugh out loud at the "metaphorical" phrase. My personal Alexie favorite is in a short story where the protagonist and relative are driving from Arizona back to Washington State. As they're driving in silence across the Nevada wastes one of them suddenly demands, "Where IS everything?" His live stand-up is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I don't know when you'll be heading up to Napa but I wanted to wish you the very best of luck! I'll be expecting a full and detailed report next week! Hope you have a great time and that your hip behaves itself.

    ReplyDelete