Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mind Games

I just read a good article in my Runner's World newsletter and found it to be a good reminder of how much running is mental... not in the, "You're a runner? You must be mental" way, but in the "I'm an f'ing strong runner and I'm going to tear this hill down with my thunder thighs, bitches!!" (So my "mental" is a bit of a potty mouth... but most of you aren't surprised by that.)

To prove (sort of) that this article is legit, I experienced a confidence boost yesterday--which is important to any mind strengthening regimen: it never hurts to help yourself feel good about yourself.

I've been doing a very hilly route lately and feeling down about my 11 minute pace times. I was doing sub 9 minute pace for a good while a few weeks ago, but I was also doing it on flat, oceanside runs. So, I made the decision last night to do another flat, oceanside run to boost my confidence and see if I could still run fast. I could. yay.

So if you, like me, are feeling slow and sluggish and unhappy with your "easy" runs, then 1. Read this article and then 2. Go to the track or find a nice flat spot and run as fast as you can for as long as you can and see what your body can do. I bet you'll be impressed with yourself like I am with me........because now I know I'm the bestest! Wow I love me now! (Over the top?? I know.)

2 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind, but on the subject of the mental contribution to running, I've borrowed your "I feel good, I am strong" mantra. It works much better than "I'm so tired, how much longer" !
    And, as well as finding a flat spot as you suggest, can I also mention, finding cooler weather? At this time of year, any heat can make a huge difference to pace. So the experts say, anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way your mind works.

    ReplyDelete