Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Fall Line-Up

I love November. I consider it the start of my race year. Maybe it's the Turkey Trots, maybe it's the time change, maybe it's because running clubs start new rounds of marathon training. Either way, I'm excited for November 1st. I have three races to look forward to: The Shelter Island 5K, The Silverstrand 5K, and a Turkey Trot 10K in my hometown of Redding.

I'm trying to get faster, but getting no where fast with my current training schedule (running twice a week...not good). It's time to come up with a real plan and make it a priority. However, if I make the plan for myself, I'll never actually do it. Soooo....thanks to my iphone and the Runner's World Smart Coach App I downloaded recently, I can type in the date of my next race and my racing goals. This is my plan for the month of November (I made a slight modification and flip-flopped Tuesdays and Wednesdays so I could include Track Club). If you have any 5Ks or upcoming 1/2 marathons, I hope you find this plan useful too:

If you're 2-4 weeks out from a race, here's what Smart Coach says you should do: (Works for 5K, 10K, Half Marathon)

Monday: 5 mi, easy run
Tuesday: Speedwork (AKA: Track Club for me)
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 5 mi, easy run
Friday: XT (for me, Cycle class)
Saturday: 8-10 mi, long run
Sunday: rest

There it is. I wrote it. Now I'll do it.

3 comments:

  1. I think just committing to a specific race is key. I can never really motivate myself unless I'm signed up for something. Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it looks do-able, if 2 days rest are enough for you?
    I'm like Will - nothing motivates me like a date in the calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh friend! The year is getting the better of me and all my dreams of running fast seem to be drifting away, far, far into the proverbial sunset... will you call me when you go on your runs? It will inspire me too :) Looking forward to Sunday!

    ReplyDelete