Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fog Delay


Look at that.
It's perfect long run weather out there and I'm stuck inside with an injured hip flexor again. Well...almost injured. It's hurting, but still usable--unlike the first time it gave me grief. I realized today what the problem is: hills. Every time I do more than one hill during the week, it starts acting up. This week I took on Laurel Street (22.5% grade) and almost immediately regretted it (it didn't help that I did speed work at track practice immediately after. That's just dumb.).

So there are really only a couple solutions I can figure for this hip problem of mine: 1.) Stop doing hills and 2.) Stop being stupid.

Starting with #1: There are so many flat races out there, so why do hill training if it's unnecessary? Especially since hills (both the up and down versions) are harder on joints and can cause injury more easily than a flat road. And #2: Honestly, what was I thinking doing two major hills this week while trying to up my speed? Just doing one of those things a week is enough...at the very most twice a week. But again, only one thing at a time. It's crazy how invincible we think we are when not injured.

One other thing... After reading this linked article a couple weeks ago I started working on my form: I'm trying to eliminate striking with my heel so much. But, now I'm wondering if in trying to run more flat-footed has caused me to strain my hip flexor in some way. Eh. We'll see. I'll do some foam rolling and a magical spin class and reassess the situation at the end of the week. One week off. That's the plan for now.

Anyone else out there working on their form--or have had to change it in the past? Got any helpful tips-- like, how do you know if you're even doing it right?

No comments:

Post a Comment