Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fall Racing Season

I love the fall. So many races to choose from... I just couldn't decide, so I signed up for three great ones (and I still need to find a Turkey Trot). They're great. Did I already say that? You should come run them too.

The first is:

The Shelter Island 5K on November 7th: This is a quick one that zooms around Harbor/Shelter Island area and ends at Humphrey's by the Bay for a...wait for it... champagne brunch. Whoo hoo! No need to join the Hash House Harriers with races like this around. I did this one about three years ago, before I acquired my running buddy, and a champagne brunch is just sad and pathetic without someone to toast with. However, this time is a different story. A much happier, drinkier story. If you sign up for this race and need someone to clink glasses with you at the end, let me know. I'll double fist it if I have to.

The second one is the very next weekend:

The Silver Strand 5K on November 14th: I was trying to sign up for the half marathon; however, San Diego is suddenly half marathon obsessed and it's becoming impossible to get into races without planning years in advance. Gone are the days of last minute registration...which means I'm screwed. I do everything last minute: lesson plans, plane tickets, deadlines. Anyway I settled for the 5K which means my goal is to beat whatever time I get in the Shelter Island one.

And finally,

The Carlsbad Half Marathon: I know it's in Winter, not Fall, but we'll ignore that for now. I was debating about whether or not to sign up for the full, but I just didn't feel excited for it like I was for Napa. The problem I've always had with the Carlsbad race is that it's an out-and-back course. Those are just the worst... you'd think they'd do something about that after all these years. It's just cruel is what it is. But, I decided to still sign up for the half because I guess I like being mean to me. I'm hoping to have picked a February or March marathon by then and the halfer will be about 6-8 weeks out and a good gauge for me pace-wise.

That's that.
Keep on truckin'

5 comments:

  1. I love the out and back in Carlsbad, if only because I'm not guessing how much farther I need to go. I've heard great things about the Shelter Island 5k. One of these years....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it this year! Only 30 bucks and it's run/walk if you really need to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see any ultra's on the list....?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, Will. I'd like to stay among the living for a little while. I wouldn't even know where to begin training for an ultra... I need a few more trail races under my belt before I dare consider. But dang you for making consider at all... I must be losing my grip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The out-and-back issue is interesting. The first time I did a half marathon, a section of it was out and back (through alphabetically - named streets) and it was tough knowing we had to go all the way to 'Y'. But, not as tough as then turning into the wind & rain and having to come all the way back!
    Then, last year at my second half marathon, again part of it was like that, and it was such fun to see and cheer the lead runners heading back, as we were heading out. Plus, when we (finally) were on the home stretch, I did get a boost from seeing the run/walk folk still on that section.
    I think maybe out and back for a half marathon is OK; not sure I could deal with it for the full 26 miles.

    ReplyDelete