Sunday, March 21, 2010

Nike Women's Marathon: Lottery Reminder

Sorry boys. This one's ladies only!

I was reminded recently by my Florida-friend, Liz, that the Nike Women's Invitational Marathon and Half Marathon 2010 Spectacular Spectacular is just around the corner. Actually, no it's not. The registration and lottery to get into the race is just around the corner. The race itself is on October 17th.

So this is the reminder for me and all of you to put April 5th on your calendar!

If you're like me and have tried multiple times to get into San Francisco's Nike Women's Marathon, and have failed to do so either because you forget to enter the lottery during lottery week (like me) or you just never get picked in the lottery (also like me), then we should form a team and try to get in together! Typically a race is a solitary, sometimes lonely activity, but in this case there is strength in numbers. If one person on the team gets chosen, then all get into the race. I don't have many running buddies-- most are in the blogosphere--so let's do this thing bloggies. Let's get us a Tiffany's necklace (given to all finishers).

The following information is the group registration procedure taken directly from the NWM site. The group needs to be formed this week (tomorrow is the start date!) to apply for our group ID.
*******************************************************
OBTAIN YOUR GROUP ID BEFORE REGISTRATION
Group registration continues to be one of the most popular features of the Nike Women's Marathon. This year, if you are interested in registering as a group, you should create a Group ID prior to registering in the random drawing.

There are four easy steps:

STEP 1: Designate ONE person in your group to be the group leader
STEP 2: Beginning Monday, March 22nd, the group leader MUST create a Group ID on SignMeUp.com
STEP 3: Once the Group ID has been created, the group leader MUST send the Group ID to everyone in the group
STEP 4: Starting April 5th, every member of the group needs to input the Group ID in the appropriate box on their own random drawing application

Runners have the opportunity to enter as either an individual or as part of a group using a Group ID, but cannot enter as both. Duplicate entries are void and will be grounds for complete removal from the random drawing.

Check back on Monday, March 22nd, for the link to the Group ID form!

ONLINE RANDOM DRAWING REGISTRATION
Opens: Monday, April 5th, 9:00am PST
Closes: Friday, April 16th, 11:59pm PST
*********************************************************

I will be posting another reminder on the eve of the 5th with a link to the registration site. I haven't decided yet if I want to do the half or the full marathon. I could be persuaded by whomever decides to form a group with me.
Half Marathon $ 115
Full Marathon $135

If anyone has already formed a group, and you don't mind me tagging along too, that'd be great. Otherwise, I'm willing to be the "Group Leader" and organize it before the lottery.

If you want to read more about the San Francisco Nike Women's Marathon 2010 click HERE.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Asha,
    I found your blog because you left a comment on Anne's (Run DMZ) blog about whether or not to join the SDTC...I also belong to the track club, although that's not why I am leaving this comment.

    Mostly I feel like I just found a kindred spirit! I too am a runner/blogger/English teacher. I taught high school English for 17 years (the lines from the student's resumes are all too familiar and made me LOL). I'm now teaching at Grossmont College (long story), but I too started running a few years ago and found that it's made me a much nicer person. I should have discovered it earlier in my career.

    Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and tell you that I'm enjoying trolling around your blog. I'll be registering for the Nike Women's Lottery tomorrow with some of my friends. Hopefully, we all will get in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea this race is so competitive! I bet the atmosphere is great.
    Myself, I can't imagine 26 miles without my favorite wingman at my side, so I'll be looking for other race options...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across your blog when I entered a google search for a San Diego running group that is training for the Nike Women's marathon. Do you know of any groups? Where do you find all of the races that go on in San Diego? I'm looking to start running (aka jogging) races more regularly.

    ReplyDelete