Thursday, March 18, 2010

Why drink a beer with pizza when you can have it IN pizza...

...because I like drinking beer that's why. So, I also have a bottle of it with my beer pizza.

I love carbs. Carbs carbs carbs. They are good before a run, with a little protein they are good after a run, they are good for bad days at work and for no reason at all. I don't usually crave pizza or care much for it one or the other. But every once in a while, I feel like making it... mostly because I like the recipe and the process of building it. So, today was one of those days.

This dough recipe, which I stole from my teacher friend, Patti, is delicious and not so bad on the waistline if made with whole wheat flour and light beer. (Though white flour does taste better.) I make a margherita pizza with it-- but any old topping will suffice.

Beer Pizza Dough:

3 1/2 C flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Add one 12 oz. beer (I like Michelob Ultra, Amstel Light or Corona)

Mix.
Roll out with lots of flour.
Optional: put a light dusting of corn meal on the baking tray before pressing the dough onto it.

For a crispier crust, bake the dough alone at 350 for 10 minutes. Then add toppings and place back in the oven until cheese is melted and golden brown.

For a softer crust, just add the toppings on top of the raw dough and place in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown and the crust is cooked through.


Toppings for my Margherita Pizza include (in this order): tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese*, chopped garlic, chopped basil leaves, sliced tomatoes and crumbled feta cheese on top. Mmmmmmmmm.

*Tonight I used a foursome of: gouda, provolone, cheddar and mozzarella.

1 comment:

  1. Beer IN pizza? Jez, they should serve the stuff at marathon aid stations!

    ReplyDelete