Thursday, April 8, 2010

Jogging and Teaching...at the same time?

So Anne guessed it-- I am finally going to get a paycheck for writing something! WOO HOO!

I'm writing an article for a San Diego travel magazine about "quirky tours." So one tour I checked out yesterday was a brand new company called San Diego Jogging Tours. As our handsome, sprightly, and toned tour guide jogged us around Old Town, I thought to myself, this would be a great job for me... I'd get to jog seven days a week while doing what I do best... telling people what I know (aka teaching). And then I realized the major flaw in this plan...

The beauty of jogging is the escape from work it provides. Running allows the weight of the school day to bounce of my shoulders as I bounce down the road. If I were to make jogging my job, I might start to dislike it...as I, on principle, dislike anything labeled as such. And that simply can't happen. If I had to run the same routes 7 days a week plus teach about them? Forget about it.

However, it was a pleasant tour. We did some good hills, I learned some new fun facts about San Diego and all-in-all I highly recommend San Diego Jogging Tours if you are an out-of-towner wanting be an around-the-towner. I'm doing the 6-mile Coronado tour on Saturday. This will be my longest jog since the marathon-- hope the hip is still my friend at the end of it.

3 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea! I love it, although I'd much rather be listening than talking as well as trotting. I find walking tours soooo tiring and I think it's just because of the plodding pace. I'm going to see if there's anything similar here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea. I get requests from visitors for running tour recommendations. I was told City Running Tours no longer operates in SD, but maybe they've resumed operations. Would be great if they did, though the new tour group looks like a winner too. Thanks for passing this on. And congratulations on your paid writing gig!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne is correct. City Running Tours no longer operates in San Diego. I have removed their link from the post... I thought I was just crazy for not being able find the SD contact info.

    Thanks Anne!

    ReplyDelete