Sunday, April 25, 2010

Never again...for reals this time


I said, "Never again" three years ago when I finished the La Jolla Half Marathon, and here I am saying it again after crossing the finish line only a couple hours ago. The running part actually went well. Really well. However, I hereby swear (with you as my witness) that I will not run this race again. I concede that the course is beautiful, the time of year is usually good and the location couldn't be better. However, there are many reasons to never put yourself through this race.

Most people dislike (or fear) this race is because of the hills. Rightly so. They are gnarly. Seriously, seriously consider this before deciding to sign up for this race on a whim. I saw four ambulances taking people away...and one very disturbing scene at Mile 12. People have died--and every year many people get ill from this course and end up in the ER. However, hills are hills and you can't fault them for being what they be. The challenge of conquering them is rewarding...even if they are bad. Bad. Mean. Evil hills.

So the hills are bad--you get it. But that's nothing new. Something else that's not new is the annoying process of picking up one's race bib. The race organizer must have some old, POS computer system, because apparently it's impossible to find a runner's bib number using proof of ID (like EVERY SINGLE other race does). So for this race, the organizers send out a "postcard" to all participants which you are supposed to bring to the expo. If you don't have said card, then you're sent to wait in a line (a loooong ass line) to get a new "postcard."

I don't believe there really is a postcard... when I did the race three years ago I didn't get anything in the mail. The same is true of this year. Needless to say, I was angered by this pointless hassle. It's almost like they just want to mess with us--that's the illogicalness of this pick-up system (and yes I did make up a word back there. that's what i do).

Oh, and if you wanted to check the race website for any last minute information (as I had to do on Friday--two days before the race), forget about it... they already put up next year's race information. Info for 2010 was obsolete 48-hours before the gun went off! (what's that about? seriously.)

Don't even get me started on the participant t-shirt. All other major races in San Diego (and the modern world), have switched to the technical t's. It's pretty lame to still hand out the old fashioned cotton ones. It says to the participants, "Yes, we're cheap and cheesy and obviously know nothing about running which is why we are giving you this uncomfortably stiff t-shirt with a gaudy logo on it. And oh-- we're going to skimp on the water stations too. Have fun!"

And then we come to race morning.... The organizers sent out these emails warning us to get to the buses by 5:30 AM. These emails stressed that if you weren't in line by 5:30, they couldn't guarantee you a place on a bus, and therefore, you might not get to the start line. Great. So, I show up before 5:30 like I'm supposed to and then get dropped off at the Del Mar Fairgrounds, where there is NO COFFEE, and have to sit around for two hours, smelling the port-o-potties and listening to "Eye of the Tiger" blaring out the sound system.

The needless wasting of my precious time is the number one way to tick me off-- which is why I don't let my students ask questions (just kidding. sort of. no, i'm kidding. sort of.).

While I did well in today's race and enjoyed myself--even the running uphill for 2 miles was OK-- I do not recommend the La Jolla Half Marathon. I may sound like a diva, but come on La Jolla! After 30 years of hosting this race, is it too much to ask that you get your act together?? (You might be thinking, "But at least it's for a good cause." Well...sort of. The proceeds of this race go straight back to La Jolla...)

Since I want to end on a positive note, here are some San Diego races I recommend.
In order of my likefulness:

America's Finest City Half Marathon, August
Carlsbad Marathon and Half Marathon, January
Silverstand Half Marathon, November

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on running it, but you're quite right, too much logistical hassle around the race is definitely a reason to give it the thumbs down. Two hours of hanging around is just ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had such a bad time on Sunday. Yeah, those hills are hard, though I love the downhill finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm confused- isn't La Jolla CRAWLING in money already? Is that really the best use of proceeds from the race? Granted, I haven't been in over 6 years and didn't stop in much even when I did live in SD, so my opinion is bunk. But still!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep Kal :) That would be why I overused the ellipses!..........

    ReplyDelete