Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Little "Lady" on the Run

I got the new iphone. Finally. I went from a four-year old flip phone to the 4G. As my husband says to everyone, "She got her learner's permit and then went out and bought a Ferrari." It's true. I feel rich.

I also, for the first time in three years, went for a run with music. Nothing like a little Lady Gaga or Flogging Molly to get the legs pumping harder. In fact, I'm rather shocked by how much my time improved. Well...I guess it wasn't that much faster, but there were definitely advantages:

Advantage #1: The music kept me distracted from my loud huffing and puffing. I have a theory that hearing yourself breath heavily during a run messes with your head and makes you feel more tired than you actually are.

Advantage #2: The music distracted me from the heat and kept me positive... except for that one rap song that came on and used the "n" word...I had to stop and switch Pandora stations.

Advantage #3: 30 seconds faster per mile and didn't even feel like it!

Advantage #4: It's fun to pretend you're in a movie and the sound track is playing just for you and this run.

I know there are a lot of opinions out there about running with music vs. running "naturally." I used to lean toward running naturally, but that was mostly because I accidentally drowned my ipod nano years ago and couldn't justify buying a new one. And blah blah blah we all know that running with headphones is more dangerous because we're less aware of sounds around us like approaching cars, viscous dogs, and catcalling construction workers. (But, seriously, do keep the music low and be extra cautious people.)

I'm not going to pick a side on this issue, that's not why I'm writing this, although I will admit that I felt a little weirdish when I saw how much my time improved... Hopefully (barring any last minute bib-acquiring complications) I'll be running America's Finest City 1/2 Marathon this weekend. I'd like to PR. My best AFC time is a 2:02...and my last 1/2 marathon in...what was it...May? Was a 1:57 or 58...need to look that up.

In any case, even though the music feels a little bit like cheating, I'll get over it.... I have noooo problem PR'ing with the help of a little Lady Gaga if it inches me closer to qualifying for Boston one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment