Saturday, October 17, 2009

7 am

This is early for me to run. It's not my usual "thing" to run early in the morning, but I woke up at 5 am, couldn't go back to sleep, and I figured why not? I read articles all the time about elite runners and their running schedules. They always suggest running early in the morning because,

1. It simulates race time. Races start early. Waking the body up at the same time as a race day gets it used to processing your pre-race foods of choice and gets the body accustomed to working hard at this (godawful) hour. (Yes, I consider 7 am to be too early on a Saturday- even when I'm in training and doing long runs. This reason is largely why I haven't signed up for a marathon since 2006. And, yes I know how I spelled godawful).

2. Instead of becoming tired after an early run, as some might suppose, working out early in the morning actually provides the body with more energy throughout the day and has shown to improve memory and brain activity. Workout for your brain...not just your bod.

3. Running at sunrise, while sometimes a bit eerie in the stillness, is quite beautiful and somewhat spiritual. As Elle says in Legally Blonde, "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't commit murder." An important lesson. Especially if your day, like mine, consists of dealing with people who think they're God's-gift-to-you but in reality are NOT.

So. Even though it's not a race day, and under normal circumstances I have no real reason for being up this early on a Saturday, I will use this run as an experiment to see if I can start my day "happy." My husband should appreciate this.

POST-RUN EVALUATION (40 minutes later)

Back from my run-- a little 3 miler with lots of hills--and I do feel great. I'm relieved the run is out of the way for the day and that it won't be hanging over my head as something I need to do "later." Plus, I'm feeling clear-headed and inspired after seeing the world in its pre-awakened state of utter fogginess. Which brings me to the two items this morning's jog brought to my attention. The first is Weather. The second is Goal Setting. Let's start with Weather.

I broke Rule Number One every person (runner or non-runner) respects before leaving the house. Check the weather and dress accordingly. It doesn't have to be an indepth analysis of the weather involving barometer or astrological readings. A peek out the nearest window will provide the necessary information needed for choosing proper workout attire. I remembered this rule too late as it occured to me only after I stepped off the curb. I became soaking wet within half a mile because I wore cotton from head-to-foot. Any seasoned runner will advise you against wearing cotton no matter what the weather outside may be. (I just happen to have six loads of laundry to do; therefore, I turned to one of my many cheesy, 100% cotton, race t-shirts from the days before races started giving out the technical-t's.)

The following fog-running advice really only applies to coastal dwellers and Pacific Northwesters who experience this weather at extreme frequency year round and who probably know already how to deal with exercising in thick, sticky fog. But, for those of you who don't, or who haven't realized yet that there are ways to make your run more enjoyable (or less uncomfortable depending how you look at it), this is for you.

Fog will cling to you the same way sweat does, so avoid cotton. Instead, wear a fabric that wicks moisture away from your skin. I prefer the brand CoolMax for running shirts, spandex and even socks. And, if you get easily annoyed (as I do) by wet hair slapping you in the face, neck or back, bobby pins and headbands are your BFFs. Regardless of the fog density, sunblock should always be worn; however, I break this rule because I regard fog running as a time to "be free." Glare from the sun isn't a problem so... no hat, no sunglasses and no more sunblock than what is in my daily moisturizer. A minor way to feel free, but a freedom all the same.

The most important thing to remember when running in the fog is keeping an eye out for cars. Drivers have a hard enough time watching out for runners on a sunny day. A foggy day is even worse. I advise treating a Fog Run as if it's a Night Run. Defensive running is key. Bypass the ipod in order to prevent yourself from being distracted or unable to hear oncoming cars or bikes. Places to use extra caution include: crossing unprotected streets, passing by allies and driveways with tall hedges or fences that make it hard for drivers to see you coming. I've seen people who attach a blinking light to their upper arm. This may be a little extreme for a Fog Run, but a must if you decide to run at night. Also, I heard on the news recently that the Prius Hybrid is being called the SBD (Silent But Deadly...I know haha...but it's really not funny) because it makes no sound whatsoever at low speeds. If you live in an area, like I do, where people park their hybrid cars in the driveway (and keep the Hummer stowed safely in the garage), be especially vigilant. You will not be able to hear a Prius backing out of a driveway.

Now for Goal Setting. To Do Lists make me happy. At least while I'm making them I am. They give me a purpose for the day or week and get me thinking about the future (no matter how immediate that future may be). So my goals for this week include:

1. Add links to my blog that provide information about running in extreme weather conditions (hot/cold/foggy/rainy etc.) Also upload pics of Lake Murray...do some good for the greater running community.

2. Add "Canterbury Tales Classroom Pilgrimage Simulation" Lesson Plan to Teacher Exchange, then link it here as well...do some good for the greater teaching community.

3. Run two new sites this week and assess their "runability." And, complete one long run of seven miles or more.

4. Add links that provide basic running info about: the long run, tempo, pace, fartleks, strides, rest, cross-training and Gu/energy supply.

5. Do something nice for the husband.

There we go. You'll know if I've accomplished Goals 1-4 this week, and I'll keep you updated on #5...if you even care. Overall, I'm very happy with the after-effects of this morning's run.

To my fellow runners and teachers: Keep on truckin'. To everyone else: Do something for your mind or body today too, even if it's not exercise. Eat some omega 3-fatty acids or do a crossword puzzle

Up early and want a delicious fall/winter breakfast with "good carbs" for that morning run? These pancakes are a simple, delicious way to do so (Do I sound like Rachel Ray yet?). I make a whole batch then freeze 'em. In the morning I pop two in the toaster oven and they're perfection.


2 cups Trader Joe's Multigrain Baking and Pancake Mix
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 tbs pumpkin spice (or cinnamon)


For added nutrients and digestive health, add 1-2 tbs of flax seeds. (I grind them in my coffee grinder so I don't end up with big black seeds in my teeth, and the body can absorb them better.)

4 comments:

  1. I already know one of the main reasons you love me is because I think you're hilarious and boost your ego, so considerable me loveable - I totally laugh any time you use parentheses. And I'm totally inspired, seeing as how my exercise goal is "go for a walk, and stop eating everything you see" and yours is "run seven miles". holy CRAP! finally, wtf is a fartlek?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep i wrote "considerable me loveable". i find that ironic and annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hilariable! And a fartlek is a sudden burst of energy for a limited amount of time during a run...kind of like the sudden blast that comes with a 'fart.' i'm sure glad they're not called 'fartlicks!' (A more indepth explanation can be found under the 'tools i use and recommend' sidebar, if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found this post and am practically drooling over the thought of pumpkin pancakes. No kidding, I emailed myself the recipe so I wouldn't lose it :)

    ReplyDelete