Thursday, October 15, 2009

I Might Be Crazy

Today I signed up to take a group of high school seniors to London for seven days after graduation. WHAT is wrong with me? Is it my desperation to travel Europe that drove me to it? Yes. Is it masochism (as a friend so recently described my life choices) that drove me to willingly put myself in charge of hormonally-insane newly-turned 18 year-olds in a foreign country where they will be of legal drinking age?! Maybe. Perhaps Kallie (the aformentioned friend) understands my psyche better than I do. And, believe me Kal, your post spoke to me. Not only did you "nail" me (in the non-adultery type way) but I, too, laugh out loud when I hear the saying, "Daddy drinks because you cry."

But, my friend Kallie brings up an excellent point about me. Her post forced me to reflect upon the seemingly crazy things I do for which I have very little explanation...with the exception of that dirty word I taught her in 11th grade. It served a very good purpose, and I hope it has served you well Kal!

So do I run because I teach, or do I teach because I run? Now I know the latter might not make much sense...I mean it'd be like asking what comes first, the baby or the embryo...duh. No one gets into teaching high school because they're a runner. What I mean is...it's all the same. Like how in "The Time Traveler's Wife" time is all the same. Everything has already happened and there is no changing it. Teaching and running are the same forms of torture for me. Both are things I don't really want to do, but I do them anyway because I know they are good for me. Even when they hurt me. I'm blowing my mind right now. And, just in case my desire for self-torture needed any sort of confirmation, let's recap the decision I made today.

I will be chaperone.
To 18-year-olds.
In Europe.
For 7 days.

This tempts me to write FML*, but I've done this to myself. All of it. The running, the teaching, the chaperoning. So maybe I have to come up with a new version of FML that suits my life choices. Like IFML**.

Sigh.

For more clarity on my chosen forms of self-torture, see Kallie's post about it at http://joshandkallie2.blogspot.com Titled: "only suitable for adults." It's hilarious--and I'm not just saying that because it's about me. If you don't laugh out loud at some point I'll..... to be honest, I'll do nothing.

*fuck my life.
**i fucked my life.

Kallie, do you think that word requires the "Only Suitable for Adults" warning? I should probably leave it then, huh.

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear, i hope i didn't incite an existential crisis. i was humorously speaking of your professional and healthy choices as they compare to my utter lack of either :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey you remember when you asked me if i wanted to come? and i said yes? i meant it. it's not an actual possibility though, is it? shoot-damn.

    is it annoying that i post a comment on every single one of your posts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A. It is a possibility if I can get...what is 3 x 6? =18 students to sign up for the trip. I get one chaperone for every 6 students. (And since I'm basically legally bound to take Josh first.)...keep your fingers crossed for 18! AND if you know of any high schoolers/students who would want to go/could afford to go (it's about $2,500) let me know b/c they can sign up on this tour too and it would be one person closer to YOU coming! They'll also prorate it if we get like...14 kids--it'd cost $ for the 3rd chaperone, it's still an unbelievable price for this type of trip. (And if that were to happen, we'd work something out with you...wink wink) I'm having a meeting with students next week...I'll let you know what I get. And B. I LOVE that you comment on all my posts b/c it makes me feel like at least one person in this world is enjoying them...or at least reading them, even if they're torture. :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES!!!! consider my fingers perma-crossed. :)

    ReplyDelete