Friday, December 25, 2009

9 1/2 Weeks

What's today? Friday? Yes. I'm in a groggy brain fog of candy treats and buttery sweets. And in two days Napa will be one week closer than it was one week ago. (duh.) I'm starting to freak out a little bit because I haven't done a truly long distance yet. I did a 15 miler two weeks ago and 14 last weekend, but I will not be comfortable with this, and my ability to succeed on race day, until more than 18 miles has been completed. But, it's more than just completing 18 miles. It's about feeling good (or least able to function for the rest of the day) after the completion of those miles. I'm tempted to just do the 18er on Sunday and see what happens. But no. I have to hold myself back and wait 3 more weeks. New mantra: "Do it right, do it right." I know this. But I'm so curious...maybe I'll do it in 2 weeks....

I especially need to wait since this week was a complete bust. I started out strong by running 3 miles a day to maintain fitness and counteract the assault of sugar and butter I knew I would (and did) consume; however, I ran two 3ers and one 4er and then zip. I now have 4 days in a row of nothing-- which, actually, now that I really say it like that, isn't as bad as it sounded in my head. Granted, I'll have a grand total of, maybe, 18 miles for this whole week IF I run on Sunday (I know I won't be able to run Saturday). And that seems like nothing when you're used to 35-45 mile weeks.

So I will be resuming my regular schedule after tomorrow a few pounds heavier and a tad less fit than I was a week or two ago; however, it's a very minor setback and every extra pound is worth pounding the pavement for the time I've been able to spend with family. I'm so grateful for them and their generosity--and I'm not referring to gifts when I say that. The gift of time is better than anything that can be put under a tree.

It's now time for me to look ahead at the next few weeks: 1. Put in the necessary hours and miles on the road 2. Rehab this sugar addiction of mine.

9 1/2 weeks. I'm out of breath just thinking about it.

1 comment:

  1. If it's any consolation, I'm full of cheese as well as sugar and have welcomed a cold into my life as well. But I'm glad you had a wonderful Christmas!

    I did 14 miles yesterday (knock on wood, the knee seemed OK) but like you would feel much, much happier with 18-20 under my belt. You've heard about not adding more than 10% per week, I assume? I went from 15 to 18 a few weeks back and am wondering whether that triggered my knee problems. Try to be patient if you can. Of course, I'm a total hypocrite saying that as I'm not abiding by it either :)

    ReplyDelete