Sunday, December 6, 2009

Florida Canyon

I met up with my new running buddies at Balboa Park tonight and we ran through Florida Canyon. I was excited to check this new running site off my list (see "run reviews"). One fact I did not consider when picking this site is that it's a canyon which means running up and down are the only two options. The creek at the bottom of the canyon was a fun pickle as we tried not to get our shoes wet. During regular San Diego weather a wet shoe is no big deal; however, it's been cold for the 619. I planned on camping in Mount Laguna this weekend, but decided to stay here because it was ideal long run weather. I did 9 miles yesterday and today. Feeling good, but am so excited about my rest day tomorrow. Yesterday I ran the Waterfront in frigid (...forsandiego) conditions. It even rained on me little, which made me feel tough; however, the wind coming from the North Pole is the reason I wussed out after only 9. (I was supposed to run 13.) If the air weren't so moist here, I would have had a chapped, crackling face. I'm serious. And I say this because I know all you NorCalers and Pacific Northwesterners are thinking, "Oh palease!" But, I just ran in Sacramento and Redding over the Thanksgiving Break in 40 degree weather--and I was MORE cold on my run here in San Diego than I was up there. It's the wet cold that (I think) is so much colder than the dry cold up there. My body just wouldn't warm up. Anyway...back on track here.... Then, today I ran 3 miles through Florida Canyon and 6 miles along the Waterfront to home, thus meeting my 18 mile weekend goal.

Even though this wasn't the ideal way to run my 18, I'm happy I did something instead of nothing...this is my new mantra. "Do something. It's better than nothing." My other mantra-of-the-moment for long runs is, "Just keep swimming." It's from Finding Nemo, but I can't take credit for it as my own idea. I read about ultra-marathoner Lori Wetzel in this month's Runner's World. She uses it. I have to say, it helped me get home when I was freezing my ass off at mile 4 and not even halfway through my run yet. Sidebar: Other mantras I've used include, "I'm still moving," "I feel stronger," and "Pain is good, numb is better." I don't recommend the last one... I've since stopped using it.

Review of the Canyon (pics to come when the weather clears!): Florida Canyon has many small trails that zigzag up and down the brushy hillsides. If you choose to run the canyon I recommend parking at Balboa Park's Reuben H. Fleet Science Museum and jogging across the footbridge to access one of the trailheads. This particular trailhead begins amid a native plant garden consisting of gnarled, scary cacti...no wonder they brought in palm trees all those years ago...cactus is mean. The trail splits quite often, but signs are provided that state the length of each trail loop. It's not a large canyon, so you don't have to worry about getting lost. We did about a 3 mile loop; I imagine it would be hard to find a loop much longer than the one we ran. Water fountains are available at Balboa Park and at the Velodrome on the east side of the canyon. Bathrooms at Balboa Park only (the ones in the Science Museum are nice and free for the public to use).

Keep on truckin' my friends.

P.S. I went to pick a wedgie today and realized it was more difficult than usual...Weird, thought I. Then I realized it was because I was flexing. I'm getting my marathon ass again!

1 comment:

  1. 18 miles in a weekend is a serious distance! I know what you mean about the cold - here in NorCal I was shocked to be able to see my breath this morning!

    ReplyDelete