Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Goodbye Social-Life Phase

So I've said in a previous post that it's important to shape a training schedule to your needs, rather than give up your life to run. For some running is their life, but they also make crap loads of money doing it. I spend crap loads of money to do it, so I don't want to give up my social life as well. However, there comes a point in training when sacrifices must be made.

Take today for example. My friend "O" (whom I haven't seen in over two months) called today at work to see if I could hang out after school (she is also a teacher...so we bond over venting about it). Unfortunately, I had to decline because of a scheduled 7 mile run (with hills). I could have skipped the run altogether, but I honestly don't know where I could fit the run in during the rest of this week...I have a sewing class and a birthday party and a camping trip...very important things going on here.

The problem is, I schedule my runs around my scheduled social events. So, spontaneous hangings out are sometimes impossible. Unless they happen after dark. This doesn't happen very often because I'm friends with a lot of other teachers--and we're go-to-bed-early people. If I were OK with running at night, this would all be much more simple. However, in the words of Gwen, "I'm just a girl," and I'm afraid of being stolen during a night run. So I run before the sun goes down. Period. The end.

I guess the point of this post is to revise my previous statement about conforming the schedule to you and not the other way around, because there will come a point in your training when you will have to sacrifice social events to get the run in and meet those mileage goals for the week. Half marathon training is far more flexible, and I'm beginning to wonder why I decided to torture myself with another 26.2er.... especially after watching the marathon on "The Biggest Loser" the other night...sheesh. Then I think of Napa Valley and the rolling grapevined hills and all the wine wine wine and the bed and breakfasts and friends and family who will be there and I think, "Oooh yeah...so worth the effort."

Another example: The 13 miler I have planned is hanging over my head and cramping my camping plans for this weekend. I'll let you know how I work that shit out.

In the mean time, keep on truckin'.

2 comments:

  1. I am nodding vigorously that half-marathon training is somehow so much more agreeable for those of us who actually have lives. I'm lucky, my social life is pretty non-existent (especially the spontaneous bits) but even then, there is still a LOT of running to fit in. I'm more likely to decline Friday evening invitations, as I want to be out by 8AM on Saturday to do 3 hours worth.
    And I do run after dark (there are far more Canada geese than perverts where I live) but, having argued with tree roots in the past, I find myself teetering along and really can't do a decent pace. Falling over at this age seems to hurt much more than it did as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! So true...turning down Friday night invites. I'm going to a B-day party tonight, so we'll see how my saturday run works out...

    ReplyDelete