Saturday, December 19, 2009

Feelin' It

Oh maan. Just finished a 14 miler. I feel good, but I can tell I've been eating crap food all week. And the really tempting week of food hasn't even begun yet. My mom makes the best cookies and pastries--I'm a goner. I try to follow the advice in Runner's World or Women's Health about how to not deprive myself of treats during the holidays, but also how to eat them in moderation... never works. Ever. With only 10 weeks left until the marathon, every long run counts now. Because of the fudge and gingerbread men, the school potluck and gift bags of cookies, the run today was not so easy.

I ran (jogged) slooooow. But, that's partially due to going up Hill Street at the beginning-- to make sure I'm training for the hills at the start in Napa-- plus it was hot today. I don't do well running in the heat. I do great in the rain and fog, which is why last weekend's 15er went so well: 8 in the rain and 7 in the freezing wind felt good.

I've been getting in our pool after my long runs, because it's as cold as an ice bath. Today my feet became so numb I almost couldn't get up the steps and out of the pool. Painful. A neighbor who was walking by with a burrito from across the street (smelled so good!) paused when he saw me slowly, awkwardly pulling myself out of the pool. I think he was debating about whether or not I needed help or if he should call the looney bin--because only someone clinically insane would put themselves in our pool in the winter time.... Anyway, I eventually made it out, he walked off with his 2 pound burrito, and my legs are feeling good.

This week is going to be tough sticking to a real training schedule, so I'm going to make it easy on myself. I have to maintain my current fitness so that after this week I can smoothly get back on schedule.
My goal is to run 3 miles a day--more when possible. We'll see in a week how that works itself out.

Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

  1. At least the running means your metabolism is more likely to burn off some of the crap food, rather than just sticking it straight on your hips. And LSD runs like this one have an "S" in them for a reason!
    You're doing great, keep on trotting!

    ReplyDelete