Tuesday, December 29, 2009

What did runners do before butt-pocket spandex?

Ran today along the boardwalk and into La Jolla Cove. When I left the house, I had no idea how long it would take me to get there...but I've always wanted to do it, so I did. Beautiful morning! The sun was out, but the air was cold and the waves were HUGE in La Jolla. Beautiful morning. Oh I said that. But it was.

I didn't take water because I knew of two drinking fountains along the way; however I did take my debit card with me just in case I had to make a pit stop. I'm grateful for two things: 1.) spandex running pants with the little zip pocket just above the ass and 2.) that my debit card, cell phone and Gu can all fit in said pocket. The reason I'm grateful is because around mile 8 I realized I'd gone without fluid for over 4 miles and was beginning to get thirsty. Seeing as how I had no idea if the next drinking fountain was one more mile or 10 more miles, I ran into a 7/11 and got a $1 water. It turned out to be only two miles more, but it was still nice to have the water.

I haven't given any advice in a while, it's been all about me me me and my training. But, ideally the point of this blog is to give helpful tips for beginning runners...not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination...but through my struggles and successes I'd like to give some helpful information for new runners. So, some things I've learned recently...

*Give yourself time to get the lead out.
I ran with a friend yesterday who said I helped her in this area. When we run together I have to start really, really slow or my ankles give out (mostly just on cold days). So after a couple runs together, in which I held her back at the beginning, she realized that it helped her as far as finishing strong and feeling good later in the run. Sometimes it takes me two or three miles before I feel settled into a run and can start speeding up to a fast trot. The biggest discourager, I think, for new runners is the first mile. What many people don't realize is that when you take those first steps, your heart rate spikes which instantly make you breathe harder. If you start out too quick, you'll feel more tired and out of breath in the first mile than if you start extra slow and allow your heart rate to adjust. None of this is scientifically proven, but it's what I've learned (from a magazine, probably) and experienced along the way.

*When running for longer than an hour, take money with you.
If you're running really long distances for the first time, you may not know how your body is going to respond. So often on a long run I'll crave something that I know will make me feel better, if only I had it. Once I craved a Sprite--so I stopped in at a Jack in the Box, then continued my run. Another time I craved salty potato chips, but I didn't have money. I spent some time in the bathroom after that run.... Who knows, if I had eaten a little salt along the way, I probably wouldn't have become so nauseous at the end. Listen to the cravings and carry some money so that you can follow your nose...or whims. Note: this isn't the best training method because during a race you will not be able to run into McDonalds and grab a hamburger; however, if you're out for a long run just to enjoy the long run...be open to pit stops. It makes the whole thing less pressured and more enjoyable. Sometimes I even go on runs to places where I know I can stop and enjoy a frozen lemonade (Seaport Village) or huge iced tea (San Diego zoo) or, like today, a scrambled egg breakfast with girlfriends.

* Do it right.
If you're going to become a "runner," do it the right way, by slowly adding miles. You'll burn out or get injured if you make it too hard on yourself while you're trying to develop a routine. Last week I used every excuse in the book to not run, this week, I seem to be using every excuse to run. Neither is ideal.... I need to stick to my new mantra, "Do it right."

That's not crazy good advice, but it's something. What're you doing?

The Route:
From Belmont Park in Mission Beach continue north on the boardwalk. It will take you through Pacific Beach and then into La Jolla. When the sidewalk ends, veer left onto the road and continue up the slight hill to Mission Blvd. Take a left on Mission Blvd for 1 block and then cross the street and veer left again to head north on La Jolla Pkwy. Follow this for another 3 miles. Continue onto Prospect Street and take a left after a few more blocks into the Cove. Water and restrooms available at Belmont Park in Mission Beach and in the Cove (about a 6 mile span between each).

2 comments:

  1. I've not been wise enough to buy any butt-pocket spandex but fortunately I have my trusty water bottle, whose pocket I cram full of all kinds of things.

    Love your point about time to settle into the run - it took me a long time to realize the first mile was always hellish and of course you're right. I read something too by a famous marathon runner who was talking about a race she won, and she said she didn't feel "good" until about mile 20. Hah, that's a little extreme!

    I don't usually carry money, that would be a bit too tempting. But I probably should, as my runs get longer, and my joints less reliable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those water bottles with the pockets are great! I have one because all those water belts and packs sit weird on my waist. Love it.

    ReplyDelete