Monday, January 11, 2010

15K


I did a 15K Resolution Run for Sun Strides-- a renewable energy company that is working on stuff in Africa. I don't really know. I just wanted the miles. The good causes (and they're always good causes) are a footnote in my long book of selfishness. But I have to say, I don't think I'll ever do a race with this organization again. From start to finish it was a clusterf***.

I knew when the website said bib pick-ups were to take place at Road Runner Sports that this was a red-flag situation. (Road Runner Sports is the worst company on the planet ever ever ever. Do not go there. They will sell you crappy shoes and charge you too much and give you bad advice and waste your time. Diatribe done...hopefully you're still reading.) But, I didn't listen to me and nearly reached my boiling point when I showed up at 4pm (the advertised time) to pick up my bib; the little 20-year old twits running the show rolled in with Blackberries blazing at 4:05pm. I had to wait another half an hour for them to set everything up. Then, they didn't even hand out the usual complimentary safety pins with the bibs. Annoying.

Then I find out the race was not time chipped. Not even a clock at the start line (another clusterf***). To top it all off, we had to wait in line to cross the finish line where there was definitely not a water station! What the hell. Those are the plentiful downsides of this race. But, in spite of itself, it was probably one of my favorite races for one reason: I ran gooooood. I'd like to give a special thanks to PowerBar Gel Raspberry Creme and Stride gum in bubblegum flavor. Fantastico.

As you may know, I've been using the Galloway Method (8 minute:1 minute) training strategy. Well, all my rules went out the window during the race. The competitive side of me kicked in and I starting kicking. I did about an 8:45 pace and didn't use my 1 minute walk breaks. I made sure not to push myself too hard, because getting injured right now would be tragic only 7 weeks from Napa. But, I felt so good I didn't want to slow down. And, I ran to the race--an extra 5 miles! I know I'm bragging like a big ol' fat braggart, but I'm so excited about how good I felt. No joke: the last time I trained for a marathon, I got sick and felt terrible during all of my long runs. The fact that I ran before the race and then felt good enough to pick people off* along the way, makes me want to jump around like Tom Cruise on Oprah.

So, Sun Strides Resolution Run, you may have pissed me off to near meltdown level on Thursday and part of Saturday-- but I'll always remember your race as one of my personal bests.

*Pick a person about a 1/4 mile ahead and pass them. Then pick another person up ahead...pass them. Repeat as needed.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the race was a nightmare (we runners definitely notice those details!!) but if you felt you were running strongly, that's great.
    We did a memorable 12k a couple of years back where we kept 'picking off' a much older couple, and much to our annoyance, they would then re-pass us! We still talk about them and vow to be super-fit next time we do that same event, in case they're still out there :)

    ReplyDelete