Thursday, January 21, 2010

As if brownies weren't good enough...try this...


I discovered a way to make the best brownies ever! (This isn't really a picture of mine...I just found it on the internet. I would have taken a picture of the ones I made, but they're gone already.....soooo, that's the picture you get.)

First, get your favorite boxed-brownie mix. It has to be one that calls for oil (I think they all do...but just in case your freakishly healthy brand doesn't...well...then you shouldn't be making brownies in the first place.)

The ingredients usually call for about 1/3 - 1/2 C oil, an egg or two, and some water. So, in my version, instead of using regular vegetable or canola oil, use a cooking spray. (Non-olive oil version of course!)

I know...it seems weird. And last night, I thought so too. But, I reached for it in my moment of desperation after I realized I had bought brownie mix and forgot that we were out of oil. My husband said, "That's just wrong," or something to that effect as I was spraying oil into a measuring cup. It's a bit messy...but here's the technique:

1. Tilt the measuring cup sideways so that the can will spray evenly.
2. Spray the cooking oil into the measuring cup until you're concerned it might start falling out of the cup.
3. Tilt the cup upright and use a spoon to stir the spray. It will be really fluffy, so you want to stir it down to about half its size. You may need to spray some more into the cup to get the amount called for in the recipe.
**Even after stirring it down, it will still be a little fluffy--but that's OK...I think that's the trick.

That's it! Just follow the rest of the directions according to the box and enjoy. Oh...also, I used an 8 x 8 pan. That may have been part of their success as well.

My husband has banned me from ever making them again because he ate 75% of the pan last night... ew. I, too, ate too much and gave myself a dessert stomachache. So be careful! But also enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. How intriguing! I wonder if maybe the oil has air of something mixed in with it because of the spraying...
    I definitely should not be eating brownies right now, but you're burning so many calories you can totally get away with it!

    ReplyDelete