Wednesday, January 6, 2010

For Beginner's Eyes Only

Not really for their eyes only, but I was recently asked by a friend for some running tips for newbies. I get really excited talking about running with people--so note to yourself: if you ever ask me about running, be prepared to listen for a long, long time.

His question inspired me to think about my first days as a beginning runner. Sooo (whistfully) the story goes: One day I came home from work, put on an old pair of sneakers and wondered if I could run to the roller coaster in Mission Beach and back. My boyfriend at the time, now my husband, had done so with a roommate the day before, and it was an idea I had never considered... I can run places. I didn't try that day, but I ran down to the ocean (about 1.5 miles) and back again. When I realized that I could run...well, jog/walk, 3 miles--I wanted to find out how much further I could go. A few weeks later I found myself at the Belmont Park rollercoaster--an 8 mile trek--came home and signed up for the Carlsbad Half Marathon. Thrilling story, I know.

So for the beginners out there, who may be looking for some simple tips that will make your first few weeks of running manageable, this is what I came up with (if that means anything at all)..

1. Accept the fact that the first two weeks will be a bitch. You will feel pain at first, especially in your lungs. They will burn and you will want to stop. And it's OK if you do...walking is a good thing when you're starting. Don't feel bad if you walk before even completing one mile. As with everything in life, you need to learn about it first. In this case, you need to learn about your body and how it responds to what you are suddenly demanding of it. If you are patient with yourself, you'll be happier with running in the long run. (No pun intended... that time.)

2. To avoid injury: get yourself into a proper running store where they will fit you for running shoes. Shoes are very important and once you find a pair you like--you'll shock yourself with the devotion you have and the panic you feel every time the model changes...you'll see. Also to avoid injury: try not to run down hill often--especially steep hills. Walk them. Running down hill without proper knee strength can result in life long knee injuries. For example, my friend is still battling a knee injury from a race 4 years ago. She still can't run more than a mile without knee pain, and it's all because she over did the downhills in a race without proper training. Sad.

3. Clothing. It is so worth investing in some "technical t's". Look for "CoolMax" on the label. They wick sweat away from your body (a good thing). When you're first starting out this isn't as important; however, cotton will soak up your sweat and cling to you. Ick. I wear old, cotton race shirts if I'm running under 3 miles. But, anything over that, some serious sweating calls for more advance fabrics. They are worth every penny. And most races give these out now instead of the traditional cotton ones. In fact, I haven't actually "bought" any of my own...though I've definitely paid for every one I own. The more comfortable you can make yourself while you run, the longer you'll be able to keep plugging along.

4. Motivation is a another bitch. But the number one way, I have found, to make myself pound the pavement on a regular basis is to put some money in it. Register for a race. It does not work if you register for one a year from today. It needs to be something that is a manageable distance for you in a timely fashion. For example, if tomorrow will be your first jog, then sign up for a 5K that is about 4-6 weeks away. If you've been running 3-4 days a week for a couple months, you may want to consider finding a 15K or a half marathon that is about 2-3 months away. This way you are giving yourself goals for races you'll be able to complete, but are also challenging for your ability.

5. Find a running buddy. I used to run alone, and I still do most of my running alone. But there will be days when you do not want to go--and it's those days that it's nice to have a friend who is counting on you to be there. Running with someone at least once a week helps you stay in the habit of running. Humans like repetition. So if you run one day, you're more likely to run the next day too...statistically speaking. So try as much as possible to form a habit of it. (Research shows that it takes 21 days to make a habit of something. Give yourself those days and see what happens.) One of my favorite buddies isn't a person, but comes to see me every month. Can you guess what it is? (Answer and link below)*

Hopefully this helps a newbie out there. If anyone is reading this and has something to add--some tips or links for new runners--please leave a comment for them!

Welcome to running newbies! We're so glad to have you.
Keep on truckin'.


*My subscription to Runner's World Magazine. What were you thinking!?

2 comments:

  1. I'm exactly the same with the money part. Nothing motivates me more than a date in the calendar and my hard-earned cash gone! But I did learn the hard way that signing up for a race too soon can be a good way to lose money if you get injured :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true struggler. Too true.

    ReplyDelete