Monday, January 25, 2010

More Things I Googled Recently...



Q: (So...just to clarify, once and for all...) Why do I get nauseous during my long runs?

A: (revised into my own words.) It looks as though it essentially comes down to a couple things. First is absorption. Water will sit in the stomach and cause nausea if it isn't helped along the absorption path. Salt is the help. (This I knew already.) The proper amount of salt intake on a long run is 1,000 mg/hour! Eating a couple pretzels or salty peanuts isn't going to cut it. I also learned that the night before a long run eating a salty dinner and then a salty breakfast in the morning will help absorption. I have to say, I'm really looking forward to fulfilling this requirement! I'll have to tell my father-in-law about this rule...he puts salt on his ice cream.

The other thing that can cause nausea is the flavor of the gel or sports drink consumed during a long run. Apparently tangerine and chocolate flavored gel's cause nausea for a number of people--especially late in long runs. This was a HUGE relief to hear...guess what flavor gu I had on my 20 miler when I started to feel sick? Tangerine. (It was actually the gel made by Powerbar that time.) If you're a Gu/gel user like me...the most mild flavors are Vanilla Bean and Just Plain (which has a simple, sweet taste). I feel like I learned a lot on this particular google search.

Q: San Diego massage therapy, runner's discount?

A: I found some places that offer first time discounts for sports massages...but I know that there are massage schools around here where you can get a massage for $20. Any one in SD know of them? If so, tell me please! I need to hit up a cheap massage soon.

I selected these two below as possible "test-runners" because they seem professional and reasonable...but you never really know until you try.

The Knot Stop (University Ave) $55 for first timers
San Diego Sports Massage (Point Loma Avenue) $75 an hour

2 comments:

  1. Tangerine? Wow, I would never have guessed. Thank you, will remember that.
    I just looked up massage/San Diego on Yelp and it seems like The Knot Stop gets reasonable reviews. Perhaps you could do some more research on there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting how an artificial flavoring can stimulate nausea. I can't do the gels, but I love Shot Blox or just plain gummy bears on really long runs. I don't think they help with the salt, though, which must be why I also like Hydralite as an electrolyte drink.

    Let us know if you find that massage school that offers such great discounts. I usually go to a Massage Envy near my house or work. If The Knot Shop is a good deal, I might try there.

    ReplyDelete