Thursday, January 28, 2010

Freaking out

I was stupid to believe that I could never fall victim to one of the injuries that plague so many runners. But it's happened.

I'm officially an injured runner...

Remember when I posted my "fears" over some issues that came up on my 20 miler? Well, thanks to Google and some of you loyal blog-readers who offered your advice-I think I have the nausea one figured out. However, the pain in my upper-thigh that I complained about came back like a saucy wench (saw that on a bumper sticker last night and have been dying to use it) yesterday after an easy 4 miler!

Why now!? Why after only 4 miles? I did 13 on Sunday without a twinge. And whhhhhhhhhhhy with only 30-something days until the Napa Valley Marathon? Coooome oooon.

I went to the doctor today (I'm never this on-the-ball about going to the doctor) because... me not going to Napa will affect more than just my ego. Other people will be there. Other people who have booked hotels and plane tickets. As the title above states, I'm freaking out.

The doctor told me that I have tendinitis (fancy word for overuse) in my hip-flexor. Common pain-in-the-ass-(hip) issue for many runners. The prescribed cure? That dreaded, perverse, loathed word... rest. She said two weeks, I asked for one, she said maybe.

If you told me five years ago that one day I would beg a doctor to go for a long run--I would have laughed at you and probably walked away from you and your friendship. I hated running for nearly my entire life. It's the reason I quit basketball my junior year of high school--too much running all the time. But the anxiety I have to get back on the road is surprising. I miss it already and I was just out there yesterday.

But I'm going to do what the doctor said. I will rest this hip for a week. I will give it all the frozen peas, hot water bottles and ibuprofen it (responsibly) wants and needs. And then next Wednesday I will run with my friend "Twin" at our usual place...and hope hope hope for the best.

Dear Universe,

If you're listening, from this day forward I vow to be more responsible with my body. Is this because I call my thighs "Thunder?" I won't do that anymore. In fact I vow to:


1. Stick to the Galloway Method--no matter what! (I strayed and skipped my walk breaks...shouldn't have)
2. Properly warm up and cool down
3. ice ice ice after every run--even the little baby ones.
4. Think, "I am healthy, I am strong, my body feels great" over and over until it's true.
5. And only say kind things about the thighs you gave me.

I'm afraid this "rest" might be more difficult than my longest run.

4 comments:

  1. The good news it's happening at the tail end of your training, so while resting now seems counterintuitive, you are ahead of those who are afflicted mid-training because they have try and ramp up right away and that usually does further damage. If you were already at the 20-miler stage, your taper was just a few weeks away anyway.

    So, I'm glad you inserted the word responsibly with the Motrin. I had an awful experience with using it to heal from injury before a big marathon. Make sure you don't have it in your system when you return to running. Use it afterward only. It can really damage your kidneys. If you are worried about pain, take two Tylenol (assuming you don't still have ibuprofen in your system).

    Keep icing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I apologize for all those tiny mistakes. I read blogs before I have my morning tea and this is what results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O-M-G. I am so, so sorry. Can't believe this has happened to you!
    Regardless of the type of injury (and I know nothing about this type but am glad you've had proper advice already), the real pain is in what it means for Napa and I can totally empathize with what you're thinking and feeling right now. Folk in your everyday life may not realize what a big deal this is for you, but other runners get it: it's devastating after you've worked so hard and if other folk are coming to cheer you on.
    The words of encouragement I can offer are, if you can bear to rest it as long as recommended, you'll be surprised how quickly your fitness levels bounce back afterward. The trouble is I know the clock is ticking and ideally you'd still be building up a little before the taper. I don't know what other folk do when they hit an injury at this stage.
    Will be checking back to see how it's going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I am the Queen of Running injuries (and I did once promise my doctor while in physical therapy that I wouldn't run in the local 8K Turkey Trot, but did anyway:), my best advice to you is to rest and if you get restless...find a pool in your local area. Do some laps in the deep end, or if that isn't your thing, "run" in the deep or shallow end (you'll need some float-belts if you're in the deep end). You're mimicking the running motion without the impact on the ground. I've always turned to the pool when I need to keep moving/training but really shouldn't be out on the road/treadmill due to an injury. When you are in the water, it's hard to reaggravate an injury, and many therapists claim that the water helps with the healing process. It certainly doesn't cause further issues. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete